5.24.2010

The Desk is Complete! Before and After

Good morning! How was your weekend? I was so excited to finish up the details on my desk/cabinet makeover and finally get all of my office and design supplies organized. And I am even more excited to finally be able to share the pictures with you!
This project has been ongoing for more months than I care to admit. Taking a plywood piece of furniture from black to white seemed to be an impossible task at times, but with many (many!) layers of primer, paint, poly and hard work, and I was finally able to accomplish it. You may remember what it looked like before - so dark and sad:


Now here it is all white! (sadly my photos aren't great...)


Not much from the outside, but inside it's where it shines:



The reason the hard work was worth it is because this piece is truly a multi-tasker. Not only does it store all of my art supplies, inspiration folders, sewing machine, printer and other office supplies, but it actually serves as a computer desk as well.


I added a piece of foam core to the inside groove of each door to create a space to put up inspirational images, so now the desk feels much more welcoming.


I'm so happy that this piece finally blends in with the rest of the room (it sits in our bedroom), so it is one step closer to becoming the soothing space I've been craving.

 

So there you have it! I would still love to do more with the exterior - I'm thinking of stenciling the doors with a fun geometric design just a couple of shades darker, and also getting some interesting door handles. But that won't be for a while. For the time being, I consider this project complete and can finally move on to something else - like sewing the bedroom curtains!

12 comments:

LifestyleBohemia said...

This looks fabulous! I can't believe how much you can fit in there. I am saving this post - I am afraid I may have to give up my home office room when our family grows bigger, so I will need to tuck a unit like this into my living room.

Katie (Re:fresh Design Studio) said...

It looks great! Nice job! A stencil would be gorgeous someday too.

Arianna Belle said...

I love furniture makeovers! You did a fantastic job! Beautiful small space inspiration! What kind of speakers are those? I've been looking for something small and discrete that isn't too expensive -mine are big, black and bulky :(

Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

Thanks guys! Glad all the time spent on this was worth it.

@ LifestyleBohemia - a piece like this would work so well for a living room. It's amazing that you can just shut the doors and nobody knows all you have in there!

@Arianna Belle - I got the speakers from Amazon for very cheap. I will check the brand at home and let you know!

Leah said...

It looks so amazing! Great job!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! A total transformation. It's so peppy and bright! (And thanks for popping by and commenting today!)

Anonymous said...

It looks great, Flavia! Congrats!

Andrea said...

Yah Flavia, it looks great!

Karen said...

It looks incredible, so much personality. I thought I was looking at a page from a magazine. How nice to be able to close the doors when you want a streamlined look too!

Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

I so appreciate all your comments! I was so close to giving up on this project a couple of times, so I am glad I pulled through all the challenges!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Wow, the white is suuuuch an improvement! I guess the black created more of a cave feeling into the space. I love it, espeically your styling. Great job!

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails