3.17.2010

Design Board - School Project

As promised, I wanted to share my final project for class, which I presented on Monday. I developed the concept board a few weeks ago for a fictional newlywed couple's new living/dining room. I am now taking the concept one step further and coming up with the final design plan for the client. The design board includes all of the items to be used in the space - furnishings, accessories, fabrics, flooring...everything.

(Click for larger image)

The colors play off the inspirational image, and I added gray to the wall and some fabrics to sort of cool things off and tone the bright yellow down. When I created the concept board, I was trying to keep to a yellow and gray palette, but ultimately I am glad I brought in a couple of accent colors. I wanted to keep things sort of fun since the couple is young, and the condo has wrap-around windows with lots of light.


floorplan and elevation


And there you have it! I still need to work on improving the way I design my boards. There were some really great ones in the class. It's sort of sad that this is the last assignment...so I will have to keep practicing on my own.

I actually did not receive too much feedback from the teacher or classmates, so please feel free to comment! I am very open to suggestions as I want to keep learning and improving. Also, if you have questions about any of the items on the board, please let me know.

2 comments:

Katie (Re:fresh Design Studio) said...

Hey Flavia!

Your final project looks really good! I love the painting you chose! Don't you hate that though, when you don't get enough feedback?

One thing I learned in school was to mount each tear sheet onto foam core and then cut out using a straight edge and razor. It helps to elevate each item as important and gives a clean look.

If you want to see some examples, I posted some of my school boards on my blog way back in the beginning. Feel free to take a look. Hopefully I've come a long way, cuz it's all about learning and practice!

Dayka Robinson said...

i think your renderings look great! i love the direction you took for the couple--it looks very fresh and airy. i love the area rug you chose, and i think it's very representative of how a young metropolitan couple would live! great job!

thanks for following my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails