10.19.2009

Mood Board - Hillwood Estate

Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was great, despite the cold rainy weather we had the entire time. The highlight of my weekend was touring the Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens. It's the home of Marjorie Merriweather Post turned into a museum of her French and Russion art collections.

Though we did not get to spend much time in the beautiful gardens due to the rain, the mansion alone was very much worth the visit. It is just breathtaking. I wish I could take pictures, because there was so much inspiration to take in. My favorite room was the Pavillion, which was designed in a luscious purple color, with a very ornate ceiling, mouldings and details.

not the best picture, but gives you an idea - WallsUpholstered.com

With the Pavillion as inspiration, I designed the mood board below. It captures the lush feel of the room but incorporates more modern touches for an up-to-date look.


I started with the rug by Home Decorators and the velvet couch is by Horchow. I contrasted it with the mirrored cabinet by Oly, which has a geometric pattern reminiscent of the amazing ceiling. I found the mirror, lions and the ornate silver table - inspired by the iron work on the balcony - from 1st Dibs. The velvet purple curtains are by JCPenney. The damask and chevron-patterned fabrics give the room a more modern touch. Chandeliers were everywhere in the mansion, as were images of Mrs. Post's yacht, so the ship-shaped crystal chandelier was a lucky find. The finishing touch is a Faberge egg, of which Mrs. Post had an enormous collection.

The final result is definitely more ornate than I'd normally go for, but how fun would it be to have a sitting room like this? Afternoon tea anyone?

3 comments:

Arianna Belle said...

Hillwood Estate looks like a place I'd like to visit! Beautiful mood board -I love the combo of gold + luscious purple!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I could also see that as a mood board for a fancy walk-in closet. Love it!

Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

That's a great idea! Mrs. Post walk-in closet was just amazing, I wish I could have taken pictures of it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails