10.15.2009

Discovering Your Design Style

If you are anything like me, you are constantly seeking inspiration from magazines, books and blogs. There are so many beautiful rooms out there it actually becomes overwhelming. I feel like every new picture I see sways me towards different styles, from modern to antique, neutral to bold, organic to glamorous. It becomes so difficult to settle on something when designing a room, and it's got me to the point where I have a hard time making buying decisions. Will I tire of it in a few months? Is it really "me"? Does it really go with my existing pieces?

I have started collecting all of my inspiration images in one place (thanks to Design Evolution for the idea!) and to my surprise, I'm finding many similar elements in all the images I gathered. The majority of the rooms have very neutral tones (no wonder I'm having such a hard time decorating my blue living/dining room!) and they typically have some graphic element, whether in a pillow, wallpaper, flooring or even furniture. 
 

 Canadian House & Home


 Erin Valencich


 House & Home



 Domino

As I continue to discover my signature style, I plan on starting a new series of posts where I pull images from my inspiration folder and describe what it is about the image that I like. This exercise is great to really help you reflect on what really speaks to you and find common trends. So tell me, do you know your style or are you all over the place like me?

2 comments:

Re:Fresh Design Studio said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm looking forward to reading yours What I've read so far looks great! :)

Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

Thanks Katie :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails