9.19.2010

Recap of Shopping Trip

Hello! I hope you had a nice weekend. Mine was great - I can't say enough good things about my trip to the DC Big Flea with Eddie Ross!


Though I already knew from his blog that he was very knowledgeable about antiques, I was just so amazed with his creativity. He was full of great ideas and helped us to think outside of the intended use of certain objects.

Take for example this old, out-of-style dress: 


I would have walked right past it, but with his help I might think twice now about using the fabric for home decor projects. Or the dresser below. it has a beautiful shape and would work great for its intended use, but why not use it for a sink, as he suggested?


This is not the best picture, but this pretty silk folding screen could be used as a headboard or to fill out a wall above the couch:


There were also lots of chairs that would have a new life with some new fabric and paint. The dining chairs in the second picture below were a set of 6 for only $200! I wish I was still in the market for those (as I was this time last year.)




He also gave us great lessons in shopping for silver, crystal and china. The gorgeous bowl below was $200. I would have thought that was a bit pricey had I not learned that this type of bowl would be sold for nearly $600 if bought new!


Eddie found an amazing bowl with a greek key motif to add to his collection...I was a little jealous :)


Lots and lots of silver...and some great ideas for table decor and gift ideas from him.


There were also some great booths full of artwork. Eddie offered some great ideas for modernizing these vintage prints and making them work with our own decor.


It seem the whole class went back to this booth afterwards. There were so many prints to choose from, for only $5 each! I picked up a few, including this butterfly print:


I was apparently in a butterfly mood that day, as I picked up this vintage silk scarf as well (I just loved the colors). To my surprise, when I was paying for it ($10, already dry cleaned), the lady shows me that it's an Oscar de la Renta!


I couldn't believe it! Now I'm not sure if I'll use it as a scarf or try to think up new ways of using it. In all, the trip really opened up my eyes to new possibilities in design - next time I'm out shopping second-hand or antiques, I'll be thinking "what would Eddie Ross do?" and be creative!

I highly recommend joining him for a shopping trip if he comes near you! It was so much fun yet educational.

9 comments:

Leah said...

OH I am so jealous that sounds like so much fun!!! So happy you had a great time!

Luvs!

Karen said...

I love that scarf! In my inspiration file I have an image of a scarf that was matted and framed in a dining area. You could do that if you didn't want to damage the scarf.

Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

Karen, the framed scarf is a great idea! I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Arianna Belle said...

How fun! Maybe one of these days I'll join in when he comes to the Rose Bowl Flea Market over here in the west coast! :)

Anonymous said...

So fun! I loved going last year; wish I could have been in town this year!

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

One of these days, I'll do a little shopping with Eddie. Thanks for taking pictures...I haven't seen too many from these little excursions this year. :)

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

What a great experience! Hope he comes round my town :)

Anonymous said...

LOVED shopping with you! Thank you for a great recap! Hope to see you again soon!

Eddie + Jaithan

Mary @ RoomPolish said...

oh my gosh you lucky lady! Shopping with Eddie Ross---um yes please, I'm jealous! The scarf you picked out is so cute. And I looove those dining chairs, wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails